Friday, May 19, 2017

It's
Cozy Food Friday

That means it's time to share a recipe from 
another great cozy mystery!

Today I'm featuring 
TASTES LIKE MURDER 
Book 1 in the Cookies & Chance Mysteries
by Catherine Bruns


Sally Muccio's had her crosses to bear: a cheating ex-boyfriend, crazy Italian parents, and an unfaithful husband, just to name a few. After her divorce, she returns to her hometown to start a novelty cookie shop whose specialties include original fortune cookies, served with a sprinkle of foreshadowing. But there's no warning when her ex-husband's mistress drops dead on Sal's porch, and police confirm it's a homicide. Determined to stop her life from becoming a recipe for disaster, Sal takes matters into her own hands. With two very different men vying for her affection, dead bodies piling up, and a reputation hanging by an apron string, Sal finds herself in a race against time to save both her business and life--before the last cookie crumbles.

Recipes included

MY REVIEW


This was my first book by author Catherine Bruns, but it will not be my last.

Ms. Bruns has an easy, flowing way of writing that invites the reader to get lost inside her story and stay. And stay I did, finishing the entire book in one sitting.

I immediately liked the best friend team of Sally Muccio and Josie Sullivan. Sally being a peacemaker and Josie a bit more of a hot head, they played well off each other. Besides the BFFs, Ms. Bruns has also created a diverse group of characters that really kept the story interesting. Just so many personalities.

I loved the scenes in the cookie shop, Sally’s Samples. I honest to goodness smelled sweet baking cookies as I read. I was thrilled with the author’s choice of victim. I did not like that woman at all! LOL There were plenty of suspects in this mystery which keep me on my toes. And the surprise reveal made the ending of this book just perfect.

And make sure to check out the great recipes at the back of the book.


On to the recipe!

🍽🍽🍽🍽🍽🍽🍽

GRANDMA ROSA'S BRACIOLE

All food images are borrowed from Google Images with thanks to the contributors.
Your dish will vary in appearance.

What?
You were expecting a cookie recipe?
;-)


Ingredients

For the rolled meat:
1 pound flank steak
2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
½ cup roughly chopped Italian parsley
3 ounces pesto
¼ cup grated Romano cheese
Salt and Pepper


   Pound meat to desired thinness. 
   Spread pesto on top of the meat.
   Sprinkle salt, pepper, parsley, and grated cheese over pesto.
   Roll the meat and secure with butcher's twine.

   Pan fry the braciole in olive oil until browned on each side.
   After meat is thoroughly cooked, submerge the braciole in tomato sauce. 
   Serve over pasta. 


Lisa's Note: 
Use your favorite pre-made pesto, 
and tomato sauce to make this dish even easier to prepare!

Mmm. . . I can imagine the smell of this dish filling my house. Did you just hear my stomach growl?

📕📖📘📖📙📖📗

Please keep reading and check out my 
installments of 
Book Beginnings on Fridays
and
The Friday 56

Both the BB and 56 are also from
TASTES LIKE MURDER


📕📖📘📖📙📖📗

Book Beginnings on Fridays is a meme hosted by Rose City Reader
Share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading

My Book Beginnings

Mrs. Gavelli wagged her stubby finger. "You no forget my free fortune this time. I tell your grandmama if you cheat me."

The Friday 56 is a meme hosted by Freda's Voice
Rules: *Grab a book, any book. *Turn to page 56 or 56% in your eReader (If you have to improvise, that's okay.) *Find any sentence, (or few, just don't spoil it) that grab you. *Post it.

My Friday

". . . Everyone said you were ticked off and tried to rip the hair out of her head, and then you pushed her down on the porch." 


Make sure to look for all the great books in the Cookies & Chance Mysteries!


As always, please leave a comment and 
let me know what you think!

Follow my blog by 
clicking on the link in the 
upper right hand corner of this page.

9 comments:

  1. Thanks, Lisa. Happy Friday, to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The food and book look delicious! Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a wonderful cozy series, and I love the meat recipe too! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Friday 56 is from Town in a Maple Madness by B.B. Haywood.

    Naturally, everyone inside had been unsettled by Wanda's revelation - and Candy's somewhat blunt assessment of the situation. There had been whispered words around the circle, expressions of regret and disbelief, looks of concern and uneasiness. They all knew what it meant - another cloud hanging over their village, another murderer on the loose at the worst possible time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never had or heard of Braciole. Sounds interesting.

    Great review, Lisa.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wouldn't it be awful to open a fortune cookie and get a little slip which says "you will die tonight" Gulp. What would you do? I would probably die from fright. My Friday Quotes

    ReplyDelete
  7. The food looks delicious!!! Sounds like a nice comfort read!
    Here's my Friday Reads

    ReplyDelete
  8. That recipe looks so delicious! Thanks for sharing. :)

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete