Friday, May 12, 2017

It's
Cozy Food Friday

That means it's time to share a recipe from 
another great cozy mystery!

Today I'm featuring 
FROSTED WITH REVENGE
Book 4 in the Cookies & Chance Mysteries
by Catherine Bruns


Sally Muccio’s walk down the aisle might be her last. The some-time amateur sleuth and full-time bakery owner is finally marrying the man of her dreams. But during a last minute taste testing of their wedding cake, Sally and her fiancΓ© are witnesses—and almost victims!—of a random shooting. At least they think it’s random, until an original fortune cookie message proves otherwise. Is someone after Sally? And why does the mysterious shooter want to ice the baker? Sal tries to proceed with caution, but when someone close to her is attacked, all bets are off. She'll do whatever it takes to bring this monster to justice, even if it means sacrificing herself in the process. Can Sal make it to the church on time…and alive? 

**Recipes Included!**

MY REVIEW


The books in the Cookies & Chance Mysteries get tastier and tastier with every new title!

I’ve read this series since the first book, TASTES LIKE MURDER, and I always look forward to each new title. FROSTED WITH REVENGE was worth the wait and more! (Although, I’d be thrilled with, let’s say, one a month. That’s not too much to ask, is it, Ms. Bruns? J)

My very favorite scenes in the series take place in the cookie shop. With the descriptions from author Catherine Bruns, I have a perfect vision of the entire shop. And I can always smell cookies baking when I’m reading those scenes. I adore protagonist, Sally “Sal” Muccio and her BFF, Josie Sullivan. They play so well off each other, be it in the cookie shop, Sally’s Samples, or out about town. Their scenes always make me laugh out loud, mostly due to something Josie has said. Especially when Josie has a go at regular customer, cranky Mrs. Gavelli.

As with the first three books in the series, FROSTED WITH REVENGE has a great whodunit that really kept me guessing. Author Bruns always delivers a mystery that has more twists and turns than a cookie has sprinkles or chips. There were also a few surprises in this story that had nothing to do with the mystery end of things. There was always something going on that made it impossible to set the book aside for even a moment. For me, this was a read in one setting book.

Be sure to check out the back of FROSTED WITH REVENGE for some great recipes. I’m not sure which tasty sounding treat I want to make first!

If you are a fan of Joanne Fluke’s Hannah Swensen titles, or just in general a culinary mystery fan, you are going to love FROSTED WITH REVENGE, and the entire Cookies & Chance Mystery series!


On to the recipe!

🍽🍽🍽🍽🍽🍽🍽

COOKIES 'N CRÈME CAKE

All food images are courtesy of and borrowed from 
Google Images and it's contributors.
Your cake will vary in appearance. 


Cake Ingredients

12 crème chocolate cookies
1 pkg white cake mix
¾ cup water
½ cup sour cream
3 egg whites
2 tbsp vegetable oil


Icing Ingredients

6 crème-filled chocolate cookies
1½ cup powdered sugar
¼ cup sour cream
3 tbsp butter


   Preheat oven to 325° Fahrenheit.
   Spray Bundt pan with nonstick cooking spray.
   Coarsely chop up cookies.
   Combine cake mix, water, sour bream, egg whites, and oil. Mix well. 
   Pour one half of the batter in the pan. 
   Sprinkle chopped cookie evenly over the top of the batter, making sure they don't touch the sides of the pan.
   Spoon remaining batter over the cookies. 
   Bake 50 to 55 minutes or until a tester toothpick comes out clean. 
   Cool completely.


Icing:
   Chop cookies.
   Combine sugar, sour cream, and butter.
   Beat until smooth.
   Spread on top of cake.
   Sprinkle on chopped cookies.
   Cake makes about 10-12 servings.


Not all the recipes I post are something I would enjoy, but I know others may.
This one? Right here? 
Oh yeah, this one if for me!
Dabbing a little drool from the corner of my mouth. 

πŸ“•πŸ“–πŸ“˜πŸ“–πŸ“™πŸ“–πŸ“—

Please keep reading and check out my 
installments of 
Book Beginnings on Fridays
and
The Friday 56

Both the BB and 56 are also from
FROSTED WITH REVENGE


πŸ“•πŸ“–πŸ“˜πŸ“–πŸ“™πŸ“–πŸ“—

Book Beginnings on Fridays is a meme hosted by Rose City Reader
Share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading

My Book Beginnings

"Hi, sweetheart," my mother purred into the phone. "Have you seen today's paper yet?"

I stared at the phone in disbelief.

The Friday 56 is a meme hosted by Freda's Voice
Rules: *Grab a book, any book. *Turn to page 56 or 56% in your eReader (If you have to improvise, that's okay.) *Find any sentence, (or few, just don't spoil it) that grab you. *Post it.

My Friday 56%

I placed my hands on my hips, squared my shoulders, and leaned down so my face was level with theirs.


As always, please leave a comment and 
let me know what you think!

Follow my blog by 
clicking on the link in the 
upper right hand corner of this page.

15 comments:

  1. Lisa, that cake is "drool-worthy"! Happy Friday, to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the great review and the great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delicious book cover and treats! Not fair! LOL.

    Enjoy, and here's mine: “INTO THE WATER”

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love cozies with laugh-out-loud scenes. This sounds like another winner!
    My Friday post features The Secret Wife.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Sandra. FROSTED WITH REVENGE has some LOL moments for sure!

      Delete
  5. Wonderful review. Have a great weekend, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Uh oh. Someone means business. LOL This sounds so fun. And you're killing me with that yummy cake. Best I can do right now is a Chocolate Twinkie.

    My Friday 56 from Silver Threads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting, Laura! LOL It was fun, ad that cake had me drooling. I didn't know there were chocolate Twinkies. How did they get by me?

      Delete
  7. My hubby would love that cookies and cream cake! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would never have thought to pick this one up, but actually I am really intrigued now. Thanks for sharing.

    Here's mine: http://bit.ly/2rah60P

    Kind regards,

    Sassy :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I may have to try making this cake! :)

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete