Friday, January 28, 2022

It's 

Cozy Food Friday

It's still cold (I love it!) outside here in Delaware, and colder still where many of you live. We need some to take the chill off. I have just the thing! 

SCALLOPED POTATOES

photo property of www.simplyhomecooked.com

Ingredients

2 tbsp butter
1 tbsp all-purpose flour
3 cups milk
3 garlic cloves, finally chopped
4 8 to 10 ounce russet potatoes, thinly sliced
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
½ cup Monterey Jack cheese
2 tsp salt
half tsp of pepper
4 scallion (green onions) only the greens, for garnish,  
   (add the whites to the recipe if you love and oniony taste)

photo property of www.applesforcj.com

Directions

   Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
 
   Use half of the butter to grease a 15 x 10 (or close) baking dish.

   Melt the remaining butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Whisk the flour, and cook, stirring continuously, for 2 minutes. 

   When incorporated, whisk in milk and bring to a simmer. 

   Add garlic and a pinch of the salt (you can add the whites of the onions if you're going for the oniony taste).

   Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes, set aside.

   Layer half the potatoes in the baking dish. 

  Season with half the remaining salt, and half the pepper. Then top with half the sauce, then half the cheese.

   Repeat with the remaining ingredients. Sprinkle top with half the scallion greens. 

   Bake in the preheated oven for about an hour. Top should be browned, and the potatoes are fork tender.  

   Let rest for around 10 minutes to set. But don't let them get cold!

photo property of www.theprettybee.com
 
Oh. My. Goodness!
Did you just hear my stomach growl?
Or was that yours? 😉

As always, please leave a comment and 
let me know what you think!

Follow my blog by submitting your email in 
upper right hand corner of this page (on the side bar).

Reading from your phone? Scroll to the bottom of your page and click "View web version". Then follow the above directions.

6 comments:

  1. Yum, Lisa! It’s definitely a good time of year for such a yummy recipe.
    Happy Friday!
    Pat T

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? You can just smell them cooking as the oven heats the house. Then taking that first bite . . . now I'm hungry again!
      Stay warm my friend!

      Delete
  2. Oh, those sounds so yummy. Thanks!
    2clowns at arkansas dot net

    ReplyDelete
  3. That recipe gives me warm feelings of the past. I grew up with my grandparents and grandma made scalloped potatoes often in the snowing days of winter! She would make ground sirloin steaks, brown gravy, scalloped potatoes, green beans, and homemade rolls! Thanks for the great memory post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teddi, I'm happy you remember some happy memories. Food and smell, the often take me back in time. You have me with everything about that meal but the green beans. I am not a green veggie eater. LOL

      Delete