As the crescendo of exploding fireworks overhead becomes the backdrop for cupcakes and champagne, a deadly murder occurs. Can Sal and Emory explain why the cupcake the host ate, after shoving a trayful of buttercream-frosted cupcakes onto Sal, resulted in his death? Or will the guests and detective alike believe that Sal is a murderer? Emory and her octogenarian employer, Tillie, whip into action to find out who framed Sal after he was frosted by the victim.
1 box Athens Mini Phyllo Shells
3 ounces goat cheese, room temperature
2 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1 tablespoon heavy cream
1 can cranberry jelly
Extra-small and small star cookie cutters
1. Follow package instructions and bake the Athens Mini Phyllo shells for 3-5 minutes to crisp. Allow to completely cool to room temperature.
2. Remove the top and bottom lids of the cranberry jelly and slide the cylinder out onto a cutting board. Slice the jelly into 1/4-inch slices. Using star-shaped cookie cutters, create shapes to garnish filled phyllo cups. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Use remaining cranberry jelly as you desire.
3. Combine the goat cheese and cream cheese together in a medium bowl, and using an electric handheld mixer, whip on high speed for 1 minute. Add the heavy cream to the mixture, and whip for 2 minutes on high speed, until smooth and fluffy.
4. Using a pastry bag fitted with an extra-large star tip, pipe the mixture into the completely cooled phyllo shells.
5. Garnish with the chilled cranberry jelly stars and serve immediately.
She has published cozy mysteries SPRINKLES OF SUSPICION, CAKE POPPED OFF!, FRAMED AND FROSTED and suspense novel A GAME OF DECEIT. She has had several children's articles published in Cricket, Nature Friend, Skipping Stones, and the Seed of Truth magazines. Kim Davis is a member of Mystery Writers of America and Sisters in Crime.