Thursday, March 1, 2018



WHAT'S COOKING?

 Savings!

🍽🍽🍽🍽🍽🍽🍽

GOOD CHEAP EATS
Everyday Dinners and Fantastic Feasts
 for $10 or Less
by Jessica Fisher


In over 200 recipes, Jessica offers a delicious alternative to fast food, takeout pizza, or over-processed foods from the supermarket with nourishing, from-scratch meals that don't break the bank or take hours to cook. Those recipes are organized into 70 multi-course dinners - main dishes, sides, and add-ons such as soup, bread, or dessert - including: Simple Bean Tostadas, Chunky Tomato Salsa, Lemon Pie with Honey-Ginger Ice Cream Chicken Kabobs with Mint-Yogurt Sauce, Curried Couscous, Greek Spinach Salad Asian Chicken Salad with Rice Noodles, Ginger-Orange Crisp Beef Potpie with Flaky Cheddar Crust, Winter Greens and Citrus Salad Cajun Shrimp and Sausage Rice, Buttery Dill Carrots, Banana-Walnut Mini Muffins Each dinner feeds a family of four for ten dollars - a little more for larger families, a little less for smaller ones and singles.The menus are just suggestions, and readers can mix-and-match any of the tasty 200-plus recipes as they like. In more than 100 tips scattered through the book, Jessica distills her hard-won wisdom into a wealth of ideas for how to be a penny-wise shopper, how to find good cuts of meat that are cheap, how to reduce waste and maximize leftovers, and more.Never before has living so affordably meant living so well.

MY REVIEW


This book got my attention with the title. My sister and I share a house, and we have to save money where we can. So, finding ways to cook good meals at a great price is a must for us.

GOOD CHEAP EATS opens with a seven page introduction from author, Jessica Fisher. She starts with the words, “I love food.” She then shares some information on ingredients, and tools of the trade (cookware – what you need and don’t) and other helpful hints.

Eight chapters include . . . Going Meatless, Stretching It, Something Meatier, Grilling and Eating Outdoors, Company Dinners, Make-Ahead Meals, Breakfast for Supper (I love breaky for din), and Meals on the run.

My pet peeve in cookbooks it a lack of photos. While there are beautiful color photos in GOOD CHEAP EATS, some even full page, there isn’t a photo for every recipe. No doubt it costs a lot to do a photo for every dish, so I get that would raise the price of the book. But I’d be happy to see smaller photos of more recipes, and less huge photos of a select few.

Food wise, there’s something for everyone’s tastes in this cookbook. I found many wonderful recipes that I am for sure going to try out. I’m a pretty plain eater. Picky as well. So, finding as many recipes as I did makes this book great asset to me. Recipes you will find are . . .Fire-Roasted Mushroom Marinara, Simplest Butternut Squash and Carrot Soup, Hot Cheese Dip with Sun-Dried Tomatoes, Peanut Butter Chicken and Pasta, Lemon-Blueberry Crumble, Cheesy Beefy Chili Bake, Cajun Turkey Meatloaf, Ale-Braised Pork Roast, Honey-Mustard Baked Ham, Beef Potpie with Flaky Cheddar Crust, Mexican Oven Omelet, Almond French Toast, Orange-Chocolate Chip Cookies, Brownie Cheesecake Bars, and many, many more. 200 in all!

GOOD CHEAP EATS, I feel, fulfills it’s title.

 🍽🍽🍽🍽🍽🍽🍽


Cookbooks can be so expensive. I love them, but I can’t afford them when they’re new. I strongly suggest looking in stores like Dollar General, and Dollar Tree. You can find some amazing cook books for next to nothing! Bargain tables at bookstores are great as well.

 And some stores, like Barnes & Noble, have specials tables sometimes where they offer a percentage discount off the bargain price! Another great place is online at http://bookoutlet.com/. The only drawback is, you have to spend $35 to get free shipping.  

I’ll be honest and tell you, if I hadn’t found today’s featured book, GOOD CHEAP EATS, on a sales table at B&N with 75% of the bargain price, I would have had to pass on it. But getting it for under $2.00 when the original price was 18.95? Well, it was a no brainer. 


As always, please leave a comment and 
let me know what you think!

Follow my blog by 
clicking on the link in the 
upper right hand corner of this page.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing Lisa. I like having photos for every dish too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the cookbook write-up. I'm with you on the pictures in cookbooks. I would rather see a bunch of small pictures than a few big feature pictures. I need to know what the finished product looks like before I decide to cook it. LOL!!

    ReplyDelete