Wednesday, July 13, 2022


Today is my review of
THE FRAGRANCE OF DEATH
Book 5 in the Sally Solari Mysteries
by
Leslie Karst


Restaurateur Sally Solari has a nose for trouble, but when her sense of smell goes missing, it’s not just her career on the line . . . it’s her life.

Restaurateur Sally Solari is a champion, both in the kitchen and on the case, but after getting mixed up in one too many murders, her 
nonna’s friends have taken to crossing themselves every time they meet. Sally’s determined to stay out of trouble and focus on her cooking. It’s too bad the food scene in Santa Cruz is cut-throat – sometimes literally.
 
When a head cold knocks out Sally’s sense of taste and smell, at the same time her old acquaintance Neil Lerici is murdered at the annual Artichoke Cook-Off, her powers of investigation are once again called into action. Could Neil have been killed by the local restaurant owner who took his winning spot at the competition? Or maybe by one of his siblings, who were desperate to sell the family farm to a real estate developer?
 
Sally plunges headfirst into the case, risking alienating everyone she knows – including the handsome Detective Vargas, who finds her sleuthing both infuriating and endearing. And soon it’s not just her restaurant and her tentative new relationship that are on the line – it’s her life . . .

The Fragrance of Death is a non-stop fun cozy mystery that will keep your mind buzzing and your mouth watering, and contains a selection of delicious recipes to cook at home.

As a fan of author Leslie Karst, I was thrilled to have a chance to read, THE FRAGRANCE OF DEATH. It didn’t disappoint!

This fifth book in the Sally Solari Mysteries wasn’t missing a thing, except for the main character’s sense of smell, and her sense of taste. Not a good thing when you’re a chef. They’re her most important kitchen tools.

Poor Sally! I could feel her panic when she realized her smelling and her ability to taste were knocked out by a head cold. Author Karst did such a great job with Sally’s feelings about this, I found myself in a panic with her. Adding to that is the food competition our protagonist is in. Things couldn’t get any worse for a chef. Well, maybe if there was a murder.

A pager turner for me from the very first chapter, THE FRAGRANCE OF DEATH had everything I’m looking for in a mystery and more. And, even more than that when you count the recipes included!

 Even though I’m a great fan of the Ms. Karst, I admit I have missed a couple books in this series. I’m going to remedy that asap. I can’t wait to see what else Sally has been through, and what situation she finds herself in next! 


As always, please leave a comment 
and let me know what you think!

Follow my blog by submitting your email in 
the upper right hand corner of this page 
(on the side bar).

Reading from your phone? Scroll to the bottom of
your page and click "View web version". Then follow 
the above directions.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks, Lisa. (Another new author for me.)
    Happy Wednesday!
    Pat T

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your review on "THE FRAGRANCE OF DEATH" by Leslie Karst. It's now on my TBR list and I can't wait for the opportunity to dive in reading it.
    2clowns at arkansas dot net

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for this terrific review, Lisa! So glad you enjoyed the book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm waiting for my copy, August 2!

    ReplyDelete