Friday, June 7, 2019


It's
Cozy Food Flashback Friday!

I don't know about you, but I love a tasty blast from the past!

Check out one of my 
all time favorite desserts in
this flashback from June 6, 2014.

🍽🍽🍽🍽🍽

I don't know about you but my favorite dessert is cake. 
Oh, and chocolate. Always good to have chocolate!
With out further ado....

TEXAS SHEET CAKE
  (Michele Masarech's recipe)

1 cup butter
1 cup water
1/2 cup cocoa
1 cup sour cream
1 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups sugar
1/2  tsp. salt
2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
2 eggs (slightly beaten)

Preheat oven to 350 degress Fahrenheit. Bring butter, water, and cocoa to boil in saucepan. Remove from heat.

Add remaining ingredients, mixing after each addition. 

Pour batter into greased and floured 12 1/2" x 17 1/2" x 1" baking pan.

Bake 22 to 27 minutes.

FROSTING
(spread on hot cake)

1/2 cup butter
1/3 cup cocoa
4 cups confectioners' sugar
1/3 cup milk
1/2 to 1 cup ground nuts

In saucepan, bring butter, milk and cocoa to boil.
      Add confectioners' sugar, adding more if needed
to make it of spreading consistency.
      Spread frosting on hot cake.
      Sprinkle with ground nuts.

Lisa's Note: My sister had a good friend (we miss you Joann) who made an amazing Texas Sheet Cake. She mixed the ground nuts into the frosting instead of sprinkling them on top giving the cake more of an appearance like in the photo below.

You can find Michele's Texas Sheet Cake
 and other great recipes in
A SECOND HELPING OF MURDER
by Christine Wenger
Book two in her Comfort Food Mystery series.


Trixie Matkowski is warming up to running her family’s diner in the small town of Sandy Harbor in upstate New York. But the only thing more demanding than serving up piping-hot comfort food twenty-four hours a day is getting to the bottom of a double homicide....
 
Trixie fondly remembers summers as a child spent visiting the shores of Lake Ontario. Not much has changed—there are still vinyl booths at the Silver Bullet Diner, families eating home-cooked comfort food, and days of swimming in the lake.
But before Trixie can say “Order’s up,” someone’s summer is abruptly cut short. One of the cottage residents is found dead, and Trixie suspects the crime might be linked to an unsolved disappearance in the picturesque town’s past.
As Trixie works with Deputy Ty Brisco to solve both mysteries, their shocking discoveries will shake up the small town. And when word gets out that she’s on the case, Trixie’s in trouble—after all, the murderer won’t spare her life just because she makes a killer corned beef sandwich....
Want to appear on my blog?
Take photos making a recipe 
featured on my blog
 and email them to me at
 lisaksbookreview@aol.com 
I will post them on an upcoming 
Cozy Food Friday!

As always, please leave a comment and let me know what you think!
Also, become a Follower of my blog by clicking on the
 link in the upper right hand corner of this page.

*********************************************************************


The Friday 56 is a meme hosted by Freda's Voice

My Friday 56 this week will also be from
A SECOND HELPING OF MURDER
by Christine Wenger

I peeked out the pass-through window. The cops were seated in groups of four to twelve. Tables were moved around and the noise level was high. After the gruesome scene that they'd witnessed, and all the caffeine they'd consumed, they seemed ready to let loose.


🍽🍽🍽🍽🍽

Doesn't that cake look amazing?
Trust me, it is!

I hope you've enjoyed this 
Cozy Food Flashback Friday!

As always, please leave a comment and 
let me know what you think!

Follow my blog by submitting your email in 
upper right hand corner of this page. (on the side bar).

Reading from your phone? Scroll to the bottom of your page and click"View web version". Then follow the above directions.

6 comments:

  1. Yum! Thanks, Lisa. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm definitely curious to know what they had just dealt with... Sounds like a good one! I added you to the Linky. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for bringing "A SECOND HELPING OF MURDER"by Christine Wenger to my attentions. I'd love the opportunity to read it. Has to be good with a recipe like that in it. I grew up on Texas Sheet Cake and Coca-cola Cake. Brings back sweet memories and tempting my taste buds.
    My first line -
    Polly was sad yet excited. This very morning at the breakfast table, her father had told the family that they were moving to Texas.
    My 56 –
    Before it seemed true, the Miller family was on the train.
    POLLY by Mary Christner Borntrager
    2clowns at arkansas dot net

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so craving something sweet now. LOL The book has such a great title and lovely cover. Another cozy for my summer list!

    My Friday 56 from Dead Spider

    ReplyDelete
  5. Every I am allergic to nuts. Will the lack of them wreck the taste, do you think? My Friday quotes and a short review of WE SET THE DARK ON FIRE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it would wreck the taste at all. Just change the texture a bit. It will make them even more melt in the mouth!

      Delete