Wednesday, October 16, 2019

BOOK TOUR


I'm happy today to be a stop on the book tour for
SERF AND TURF
Book 3 in the Silicon Valley Mysteries
by Marc Jedel

BGM Press (October 9, 2019)
Paperback: 213 pages
ISBN-10: 1732716420
ISBN-13: 978-1732716421
Digital ASIN: B07YF2CN1B

He’s afraid of losing his girlfriend. But maybe he should be more concerned about the dead body she’s crying over?

Marty Golden can barely string a voicemail message together, let alone keep up with his new love. This quirky uncle’s hectic Silicon Valley lifestyle needs a reboot when a youth league soccer game becomes a murder scene. And nothing can stop him from donning his amateur sleuth uniform when he discovers his sweetheart used to have quite a thing for the dead guy …

With a not-so-helpful paw from Buddy the Labrador,  he does his best to sniff out a long list of possible suspects. But between gossipy soccer moms and the costume-clad members of a Renaissance Faire, Marty’s theories fall harder than a jousted knight.

Can Marty solve the case before the trail and his new flame grow cold?

Serf and Turf is the third book in the zany, Silicon Valley cozy mystery series. If you like laugh-out-loud comedy, dorky sleuths, and a festival of old-world fun, then you’ll love Marc Jedel’s humorous murder mystery.



A CHAT WITH MARC


LKBR:  Thank you for being here today, Marc!

Marc: It’s a pleasure. Thanks for hosting me.


LKBR: Please tell us a bit about you, and your book/series.

Marc: Serf and Turf is the third novel in my Silicon Valley Mystery series but can also be read standalone. Marty Golden, my reluctant amateur sleuth, gets sucked into another investigation just the day after book 2 ends. His hectic Silicon Valley lifestyle doesn’t get any easier as he winds up taking care of his niece and Buddy the Labrador while getting involved in investigating the death of his girlfriend’s ex.


LKBR: Any hints or spoilers you can give us about Serf and Turf?

Marc: No one would expect that a quirky uncle could wind up investigating the murder of a serf in the heart of Silicon Valley. Marty is far from a Renaissance Man himself, but he has to navigate through a bewildering collection of costume-clad Renaissance Faire members to become his girlfriend’s knight in shining armor.


LKBR: Have you ever written a scene that you loved but had to remove it for the sake of the story?

Marc: I frequently have extra humorous anecdotes or incidents that happen to Marty. My editor does an awesome job of making me feel good by telling me I’m funny and then telling me to cut the excess parts to keep the story flowing. I save these and see if they fit in a future book. I’ve got one funny scene that I’d love to use and hope to get it into book 4.


LKBR: Have you ever gotten reader’s block? Just find it hard to get into reading because you are so into your writing?

Marc: When I’m in the middle of a heavy writing sprint, I find I need to avoid other cozies and mysteries so I can keep my own voice clear in my head. Plus I don’t want to get confused about who kills whom! I’ll still read, but I switch to other genres like sci-fi or biographies.


LKBR: Are there any magazines/publications that as a writer you subscribe to? Are these or others something readers could also benefit from?

Marc: Growing up, I used to ask my dad, “any new books, magazines, or newspapers?” when he got home from work. Yes, I was an odd child but I’ve always read broadly and enjoyed making connections between diverse fields. I keep my eyes open now for unusual or wacky situations, especially those that lead to deaths or mysteries, and think about whether I can adapt these real-life scenarios into something for my novels. Typically I’m asking myself if there’s some way I can make life more challenging for Marty or drop a small clue that he’ll notice and which will solve the mystery by the end of the story.


LKBR: Is there anything you would give up if you thought it would make you an even better writer?

Marc: If I answered “brussels sprouts,” would you believe me? I’d like to be a better writer, but I do enjoy eating too. This is a hard question. I’ll have to ponder it longer.


LKBR: Any new projects in the works?

Marc: I’m outlining the next novel, tentatively called Hit and Mist, just to stay with my trend of abusing 3 word puns with an ‘and’ in the middle. Although I’m open to other suggestions and would appreciate any reader ideas. That will take place around Thanksgiving (or three weeks after Serf and Turf). I also have a really fun title and concept for book 5 which would take place around Christmas (about a month after book 4 takes place). Looks like Marty’s hectic life won’t ease up anytime soon. Readers can get the first chapter and get notified of special offers, prizes, and more by joining my mailing list at www.marcjedel.com.


LKBR: If you could ask your readers 3 questions, what would they be?

Marc: I’m always interested in hearing from readers. One question I always wonder about is what other authors/books do my novels remind you of?


LKBR: Where can readers go to learn more about you and your books?
Marc: I’d love for readers to contact me. Tell me what you liked, or didn’t like, what you wish would happen next, or just some funny anecdote you think would be good in a future book. Authors love to hear from readers — it’s much more exciting than staring at a blank screen. Please contact me at:
         Email: marc@marcjedel.com
         Website: www.marcjedel.com
         FaceBook: www.facebook.com/MarcJedel.Author
         BookBub: www.bookbub.com/profile/marc-jedel
         LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/mjedel/


LKBR: Thank you so much, Marc, for letting us get to know you better!

Marc: Thanks again for featuring me today. I hope your readers enjoy my books as much as I’ve enjoyed writing them.

About Marc Jedel


For most of my life, I’ve been inventing stories. Some, especially when I was young, involved my sister as the villain. As my sister’s brother for her entire life, I’m highly qualified to tell the tale of this evolving, quirky sibling relationship.

My writing skills were honed in years of marketing leadership positions in Silicon Valley. While my high tech marketing roles involved crafting plenty of fiction, we called these marketing collateral, emails and ads.

The publication of my first novel, Uncle and Ants, gave me permission to claim “author” as my job. And achieving Amazon Best Seller status gave me even better adjectives to use in front of “author." This has led to way more interesting discussions than answering “marketing.”

My family would tell you that Marty’s character isn’t much of a stretch of the imagination for me, but I’m comfortable with that situation.

Like Marty, I live in Silicon Valley and can’t believe that otherwise normal people would willingly jump out of an airplane and call it fun. Unlike Marty, I have a wonderful wife and a neurotic but sweet, small dog, who is often the first to weigh in on the humor in my writing.

Author Links

Purchase Link
Amazon  

TOUR PARTICIPANTS

October 14 – Elizabeth McKenna - Author – SPOTLIGHT
October 14 – Carla Loves To Read – REVIEW
October 15 – Cozy Up With Kathy – CHARACTER GUEST POST
October 15 – A Chick Who Reads – REVIEW
October 16 – Babs Book Bistro – SPOTLIGHT - Reading Is My SuperPower
October 16 – Lisa Ks Book Reviews – AUTHOR INTERVIEW
October 17 – Escape With Dollycas Into A Good Book – CHARACTER GUEST POST
October 18 – Celticlady's Reviews – SPOTLIGHT
October 19 – MJB Reviewers – AUTHOR INTERVIEW
October 20 – Literary Gold – REVIEW, CHARACTER GUEST POST
October 21 - StoreyBook Reviews – REVIEW
October 21 - The Pulp and Mystery Shelf – GUEST POST
October 22 – The Book Decoder – REVIEW
October 22 – I Read What You Write - CHARACTER GUEST POST
October 23 – My Reading Journeys – REVIEW
October 24 – Here's How It Happened – REVIEW
October 24 – Mysteries with Character – REVIEW
October 25 – Brooke Blogs – GUEST POST
October 26 – A Blue Million Books – AUTHOR INTERVIEW
October 27 – Diane Reviews Books – REVIEW, GUEST POST



As always, please leave a comment and 
let me know what you think!

Follow my blog by submitting your email in 
upper right hand corner of this page (on the side bar).

Reading from your phone? Scroll to the bottom of your page and click"View web version". Then follow the above directions.


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for being part of the book tour for "SERF AND TURF" by Marc Jedel. Enjoyed the chat with Marc. Can't wait for the opportunity to read this new book of his.
    2clowns at arkansas dot net

    ReplyDelete