Tuesday, January 27, 2015


AN EARLY WAKE
Book 3 in the County Cork Mystery series
by 
Sheila Connolly


Pub owner Maura Donovan may have Irish kin, but she doesn’t seem to have the luck of the Irish. Who could have foreseen that bringing live music back to Sullivan’s Pub would lead to a dead musician? 

Summer is ending in County Cork, Ireland, and with it the tourist season. Expat Maura Donovan is determined to keep Sullivan’s Pub in the black as the days grow shorter—but how? When she hears that the place was once a hot spot for Irish musicians who’d come play in the back room, she wonders if bringing back live music might be Sullivan’s salvation.

As word gets out, legendary musicians begin to appear at the pub, and the first impromptu jam session brings in scores of music lovers. But things hit a sour note when Maura finds a dead musician in the back room the next morning. With a slew of potential suspects, it’s going to take more than a pint and a good think to force a murderer to face the music.

My Review


I am late coming into the County Cork Mystery series, but I'm so happy to have read AN EARLY WEEK. To me this book just serves to prove that author Sheila Connolly is a wonderful writer. This series is so different than her Museum Mysteries and Orchard Mystery series, both of which I love. 

It's very clear Ms. Connolly is not only knowledgeable of Ireland, but indeed proud of her Irish connection. It truly comes across in her delightful characters and settings and had me captivated.

This was a good, solid mystery that kept me guessing until the exciting end when all was finally made clear. 

While this was my first trip to County Cork, it most certainly will not be my last. 

AN EARLY WAKE
Releases on February 3

Pre-order your copy today!

As always, please leave a comment and 
let me know what you think!

Follow my blog by 
clicking on the link in the 
upper right hand corner of this page.

8 comments:

  1. This book, An Early Wake, definitely sounds like a story that I would enjoy. I have thoroughly enjoyed Sheila's Orchard Mystery series, and was not sure about reading stories about Ireland, but I got book 1 and have been a fan of this series since. Thank you for the reminder about getting this book Lisa as I know it will be as good as the rest of the author's books..

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Tuesday, Lisa! The cover is eye-catching, too! Cozy mystery covers are the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you, Pat. They have the best cover artists!

      Delete
  3. Sheila is such a wonderful writer that I love escaping into her books for a self pampering afternoon. I will love escaping to Ireland with her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review. This series has become a favorite, I wasn't a big fan of the first book, and I wasn't so sure, if I would like the second book. But boy was I wrong, the second book was fantastic. So now, I can't wait to read the third book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amanda, I always think of the first book sort of like a TV pilot. It's not always as good as the series. It's wise to give the second on a chance. I'm glad you did. I think you'll love this one!

      Delete