Thursday, December 18, 2014


It's
Cozy Food Friday!

That means it's time to share a recipe from 
another great cozy mystery!

Today I'm featuring a recipe from the cozy mystery 
CHRISTMAS COZY
Book 11 in the Zoe Donovan Mystery series
by
Kathi Daley

Christmas in Ashton Falls is always a magical time of year. The first big snow has arrived, the tree in the town square has been decorated, the window displays completed, and Hometown Christmas is just around the corner. Zoe finds herself knee deep in holiday shopping and Children’s wishes as she and Zak play host to nine year old Scooter Sherwood and his friend Alex. Although a bit hectic, the magic of Christmas is in full bloom and things couldn’t be more perfect until Zoe finds the body of history teacher Holly Jolly in the Ashton Falls High School Christmas Tree lot run by best friend Levi Denton and is pulled into a dangerous holiday investigation.

14 recipes included - all submitted by readers

On to the yummy recipe!

POTATO CANDY

This recipe holds a special place in my heart. 
This is Verma Doris Kelley's (My Mom) Potato Candy.

I don't remember a Christmas that Mom didn't make her potato candy. It was always a big hit with family and friends. 


Ingredients:

1 large potato (think baking size)
1/2 tsp. vanilla
Powdered sugar (confectioner's); have a 2-lb bag at the ready (will not use all)
Peanut butter (creamy works best)


Instructions:

Peel potato and boil in plain hot work until fully cooked (do not add salt!)

Mash potato until there are no lumps. Let cool to room temp. 

Once potato is cool, add in vanilla and as much powdered sugar as needed to make mixture into a rollable, dough like texture.


For a more festive look, divide the candy "dough" and add red food coloring to one half, green to the other.

Roll out into 1/2 inch thick circle. Spread entire surface with creamy peanut butter about a 1/4 inch thick. 

Roll mixture like a jellyroll (log), wrap in plastic wrap, and chill in refrigerator for 30 minutes to 1 hour.


Remove from refrigerator, unwrap, and slice into thin slices. 

Keep refrigerated when not serving. 

Perfect and tasty gift.

Drizzle with chocolate for a special treat. Semi-sweet or Dark chocolate would work best since these are very sweet. 

Be sure to give these a try. 
If you do, I'd love to see photos.
PM me on Facebook - Lisa Ks Book Reviews
or
Email them to lisaksbookreview@aol.com

You can purchase 
CHRISTMAS COZY by Kathi Daley 
online


Keep reading and check out my installments of 
Book Beginnings on Fridays
and
The Friday 56

Book Beginnings on Fridays is a meme hosted by Rose City Reader
Share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading

Keeping my Cozy Food Friday theme going with 
CHRISTMAS COZY by Kathi Daley
Book 11 in the Zoe Donovan Mystery series
My Book Beginnings for this week..

Friday. December 5

"Frosty the Snowman" blared over the loudspeaker as I helped my best friend, Levi Denton, set up for the first annual Ashton Falls High School Christmas Tree Lot. Levi is a couch and physical education teacher at the high school, and as a teacher, he was required to preform a certain number of adjunct (extracurricular) hours each year. Because he hadn't logged any hours in the past two years, he'd been asked---ordered---by Principal Joe Lamé to manage the tree lot, which would be staffed by the students who'd volunteered to cover the various shifts. 

The Friday 56 is a meme hosted by Freda's Voice
Rules: *Grab a book, any book. *Turn to page 56 or 56% in your eReader (If you have to improvise, that's okay.) *Find any sentence, (or few, just don't spoil it) that grab you. *Post it.

Continuing with the CHRISTMAS COZY theme
My Friday 56...

Something just wasn't adding up. How could a woman with such a big heart not have any close friends?

And just for fun.

CHRISTMAS COZY
Page 32

"I've been dying to try Lisa's recipe for potato candy, so maybe if we invite her, she can be persuaded to bring the candy as her offering." 

She's talking about me! :-) 
How fun is that?


As always, please leave a comment and 
let me know what you think!

Follow my blog by 
clicking on the link in the 
upper right hand corner of this page.

Keep reading for the answers to yesterday's 
Match It.

?????????????????????????????????


ANSWERS

 Victoria "Tori" Sinclair - Southern Sewing Circle

 Minnie Hamilton - Bookmobile Cat

Glory Martine - Haunted Souvenir Shop 

Jenna Hart - Cookbook Nook 

Izzy McHale - Pet Boutique 


13 comments:

  1. Love these! They taste like an Abba Zabba! But won't tear your teeth apart. Great recipe to share!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "She's talking about me! :-) How fun is that?"

    Very cool, Lisa! I will have to try the candy because it sounds delish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Lisa. Hope to make potato candy, with my grandson, soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They taste like Abba Zabba?? I am making them today!

    This is a great series and it is just too cool that you and your recipe are in the book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cozy sounds delightful...and those goodies, as usual, make me hungry. Your blog, and the one I'm posting in today, should get married! Check it out: “THE LIFE YOU’VE IMAGINED”

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never heard of potato candy, but it looks and sounds delicious. I'll definitely try it. Christmas Cozy looks like a fun story and a good holiday read.
    My Friday post features VIDAL’S HONOR.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another great recipe and adorable book. Using a potato is very interesting.

    Thanks as always for sharing. Love your site.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Book Beginnings

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm looking forward to trying this recipe and reading the book.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've heard of Potato Candy but I don't think I've every tried it. It looks tasty. The book sounds fun. I've been heavy on romance lately so I could use a nice mystery!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! I've never heard of Potato Candy, but the recipe appears simple, I may just give it a try!

    I love how the 56 adds a fantastical twist to Christmas with Frosty The Snowman talking over the loudspeaker XD I'm also reading a fantasy novel with a twist to a fairy tale retelling

    Sparrow's Friday 56

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love all the potato candy and the recipe. Your pg 56 line is interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That Christmas cozy looks fun and festive!
    I haven't heard of Potato candy before but for sure I will try your mom's recipe. Thank you!
    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete